Transport Canada recently introduced the Integrated Safety Management System (ISMS) as a requirement for all commercial air navigation service providers. Taiga has adopted ISMS ahead of regulated implementation. ISMS is a documented process for managing risks and contains the following requirements:
- A process for setting goals for the improvement of aviation safety and for measuring the attainment of those goals;
- A process for identifying hazards to aviation safety and for evaluating and managing the associated risks;
- A process for ensuring that personnel are trained and competent to perform their duties;
- A process for non-punitive internal reporting and analyzing of hazards, incidents and accidents and for taking corrective actions to prevent their recurrence;
- A document containing all safety management system processes and a process for making personnel aware of their responsibilities with respect to them;
- A process for conducting periodic reviews or audits of the safety management system and reviews or audits for cause of the safety management system
- Any additional requirements for the safety management system that are prescribed under these regulations.
The ISMS regulations are in addition to pre-existing regulations outlined by Transport Canada.